George Zimmerman, in hiding since his acquittal in Trayvon Martin's death, surfaced briefly last week to help pull a family of four from an overturned vehicle in Florida, police said Monday.
Zimmerman and another man helped free the family after their sport-utility vehicle ran off the road Wednesday evening just miles from the Sanford neighborhood where Zimmerman shot and killed the 17-year-old Martin in 2012, ABC News reported.
More from GlobalPost: Feds consider civil rights charges against George Zimmerman
No one was injured, and Zimmerman left shortly after speaking with sheriff's deputies.
It's believed to be the first public sighting of Zimmerman since he was found not guilty of second-degree murder in Martin's death -- a verdict that's spawned protests across the country, most recently the "Justice for Trayvon" rallies held Saturday in 100 cities nationwide.
No word whether he was wearing the bullet-proof vest his lawyers say he now dons when venturing out into public.
More from GlobalPost: George Zimmerman verdict: Obama calls for 'calm reflection' amid protests
Zimmerman's parents told ABC's Barbara Walters the family has been on the receiving end of numerous death threats.
"George's legal counsel has had death threats, the police chief of Sanford, many people have had death threats," Zimmerman's father, Robert Zimmerman, said."'Everyone with Georgie's DNA should be killed' -- just every kind of horrible thing you can imagine."