Death toll in building collapse in south India mounts to 47
MUMBAI, July 2 (Xinhua) -- The death toll in a building collapse in the southern Indian city of Chennai has risen to 47 while a few more people are feared still trapped under the debris, a senior official said Wednesday.
Rescue workers recovered 14 more dead bodies from late Tuesday night to 2 p.m. on Wednesday, taking the death toll to 47.
As many as 27 construction workers have been rescued from the debris of the under-construction building which collapsed on last Saturday evening.
Rescue operations are continuing at the site.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said construction norms had been violated. Police have so far arrested 6 people including the real estate developer for negligence.
The Odisha government on Wednesday announced an ex-gratia of 500,000 rupees each for the kin of those killed and 50,000 rupees for injured persons in the incident, official sources said.
Owing to poor construction practices, building collapse incidents are common in India where there is a high demand for housing.
At least 10 people were killed when a four-storey building collapsed in the Indian capital Saturday.
In January this year, some 14 people died when an under- construction building came crashing down in the western state of Goa. 74 people died after a building collapsed in Mumbai in April last year.