Nigeria says open to negotiations to free abducted Chibok schoolgirls
LAGOS, July 26 (Xinhua) -- Nigeria's Permanent Representative to the UN, Joy Ogwu, says the country is still open to negotiation to secure the release of over 200 schoolgirls abducted in April.
Ogwu said in a televised interview on Saturday that terrorism is a global problem that requires global solution.
She was speaking on the latest terrorist attacks in northern Kaduna and Kano, which killed several Nigerians and injured many others.
It is now more than 100 days after the schoolgirls were abducted by Boko Haram terrorists in Chibok, Borno.
She said Nigerians have not given up hope on the release of the girls as they have persevered in prayer vigils, protests and appeals to their abductors to free them.
According to the Human Rights Watch, Boko Haram has so far been responsible for the death of 2,053 civilians in 95 attacks during the first six months of this year.
In May, at the request of Nigeria, the terrorist group was added to the UN Security Council's Al-Qaeda-linked organizations subject to an arms embargo and asset freeze.