Connect to share and comment

Bolshoi ballet chief in acid attack leaves hospital

PlacardEnlarge
(Globalpost/GlobalPost)

The Bolshoi Ballet's artistic director Sergei Filin left a Moscow hospital on Monday morning to move to a German clinic for further treatment after he suffered serious eye damage in an acid attack, Russian television reported.

Filin, wearing dark glasses and supported by his wife, left the hospital to fly to Germany, where he was set for his first medical examination later Monday.

"I feel good, I would even say excellent. If only my eyes saw a bit better," Filin told journalists outside the hospital, describing his vision as "foggy and blurred."

The 42-year-old has already undergone five operations on his eyes since being rushed to hospital on January 17 after being splashed in the face with sulphuric acid in an attack that he has linked to his work at the theatre.

The Russian health ministry has said Filin will fly to the German spa town of Aachen for what promises to be an extended treatment and rehabilitation period.

In an interview with Russian television aired late Sunday, Filin said he believed he knew who masterminded the attack.

"My heart knows who did it and in the depths of my soul I have the answer to this question, but it is my perception, my imagination, and so far it's only what I can think to myself."

am/zak/pvh

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130204/bolshoi-ballet-chief-acid-attack-leaves-hospital