RugbyL: Millward salutes Chase as Castleford shock Leeds

Castleford coach Ian Millward paid tribute to an influential display from Rangi Chase as his team secured their first Super League win of the season at the expense of champions Leeds.

Jake Webster and Jordan Tansey were Castleford's try-scorers in their 14-12 victory on Sunday, but it was Chase who caught the eye.

Rhinos stand-off Danny McGuire scored to give Leeds hope while Ryan Hall fired the visitors in front eight minutes after the restart with Kevin Sinfield converting both to make it 12-10.

However, Castleford were not to be denied and two goals from Jamie Ellis in the last six minutes sealed the win.

The shock result ended Castleford's eight-game losing run in the Super League and Millward was quick to talk up the performance of New Zealand-born Chase.

"I thought Rangi Chase was very good in the first half. I am really happy for the players. They have worked really hard and the new guys that have come in have been really good," said Millward.

"It was a real shot in the arm for the effort the players have put in. I thought we were very impressive in the wet conditions in the first 30 minutes.

"I felt it could have been a lot closer last week in our defeat at Warrington, but I was really impressed that we had a bit of backbone about us that we didn't have last year."

Meanwhile, Widnes coach Denis Betts admitted he had no complaints over Ben Cross's dismissal in their 16-4 defeat to St Helens.

Vikings forward Cross was sent off for his role in the melee that followed a high tackle on St Helens captain Paul Wellens.

Team-mate Jon Clarke was sin-binned and, while admitting the decision to dismiss Cross was fair, Betts believed he wasn't the only player to have committed a crime.

"There were plenty of other people who got involved," he said. "If the ref was going to get the cards out, which he obviously wanted to, it should have been 11 against 11.

"He's a really good referee but sometimes you have a bad one and I thought he was poor at times."

Meanwhile, Warrington coach Tony Smith has vowed to take positives out of the Wolves producing the first draw of the new Super League season, 17-17 with Wigan.

"There's such long way to go," said Smith. "I'm not going to go home and kick the dog. The skill level was not particularly high but it was tense and the crowd played a part in that.

"I thought they were better than us in the first half, they out-enthused us, but in the second half we showed a bit more control for patches of the game."