Connect to share and comment
At least 36 people were trampled to death on Sunday evening as pilgrims headed home from the Kumbh Mela religious festival, which drew a record 30 million people to the banks of the river Ganges.
Here is a list of the worst stampedes in India since 2008.
--- 2012 ---
- November 20: Eighteen women and children are crushed to death in a stampede when a rope bridge collapses at a Hindu festival in the eastern Indian state of Bihar.
- September 24: Nine people, eight of them women, die in a stampede during morning prayers at a religious celebration in Jharkhand state.
- January 14: Ten worshippers die in a midnight stampede at a Hindu shrine in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh.
--- 2011 ---
- November 8: Sixteen people including 14 women are killed in a stampede at a religious ceremony at a hermitage near the holy Hindu city of Haridwar.
- January 14: Some 102 Hindu devotees are killed in a stampede which breaks out when thousands of pilgrims make their way home after an annual pilgrimage in the southern Indian state of Kerala.
--- 2010 ---
- October 16: Ten worshippers are crushed to death in Bihar when tens of thousands of pilgrims gather for an annual Hindu festival.
- March 4: Sixty-three people, mostly women and children, are killed in a stampede at a temple where free clothes are being doled out in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.
--- 2008 ---
- September 30: Some 224 pilgrims die in a stampede when 25,000 worshippers rush to reach the 15th-century Chamunda Devi hill-top temple in the northern Indian town of Jodhpur.
- August 3: Some 150 Hindu worshippers, including scores of children, are killed in a temple stampede sparked by rumours of a landslide in the northern Indian tourism state of Himachal Pradesh.