Connect to share and comment
Nile Ranger has left Newcastle after his contract was cancelled by mutual consent, the English Premier League club announced on Friday.
The 21-year-old striker was released on bail in late January after being arrested on suspicion of rape.
"Newcastle United can confirm that Nile Ranger has today left the club by mutual consent," a club statement said.
The England Under-19 international, who had been involved in a series of disputes with Newcastle fans on social networking site Twitter, told his followers on Friday: "I'm happy."
Ranger, born in London, came through the ranks at Newcastle but only five of his 51 league appearances were in a starting role and he has scored just three goals in all competitions since his debut in 2009.
In January, he was held by Northumbria Police following an allegation made by a woman that she was attacked at a hotel in Jesmond, Newcastle on the night of January 23/24.
His arrest came after Ranger angered Newcastle fans by criticising them for booing after the team lost to Reading the previous weekend.
He went on to infuriate large sections of the St James' Park faithful by spelling his name out in £20 notes and posting a photograph online.