Connect to share and comment

1,000s at funeral of Egyptians killed in Port Said clashes

PlacardEnlarge
(GlobalPost/GlobalPost)

Thousands took to the streets in the Egyptian canal city of Port Said on Monday for the funeral procession of three people killed in overnight clashes with police, live television images showed.

"The interior ministry (officials) are cowards!" the angry mourners chanted and called on Islamist President Mohamed Morsi to "leave".

Five people, including two policemen, were killed in the clashes that erupted on Sunday night between security forces and protesters in the restive city.

Fresh clashes erupted on Monday afternoon near the security headquarters in Port Said. Protesters threw petrol bombs at police, who used tear gas to disperse the crowds, security sources said.

The city has witnessed unrest since January when a court sentenced Port Said residents to death over football violence last year, triggering a series of protests and eventually a civil disobedience campaign.

str-jaz/bpz

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130304/1000s-at-funeral-egyptians-killed-port-said-clashes