Connect to share and comment
Syrian rebels held hostage 21 UN peacekeepers patrolling the sensitive armistice line with Israel for a second day on Thursday, defying a chorus of international condemnation and calls for their release.
A video posted on the Internet showed footage of some of the group, with one of them saying they were safe and being cared for.
Diplomats scrambled to secure the release of the 21 Filipinos, as concern mounted that their seizure might prompt more governments to withdraw their contingents from the already depleted UN mission.
Israeli officials warned that any further reduction in the strength of the UN Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) risked creating a security vacuum in the no-man's land between the two sides on the strategic Golan Heights.
The Philippine soldiers were detained at a rebel post on Wednesday just one and a half kilometres (a mile) on the Syrian side of the armistice line at its southern end towards the Yarmuk River on the border with Jordan.
The rebels, calling themselves the Yarmuk Martyrs Brigade, demanded in video statements that Damascus withdraw its troops from Jamla and neighbouring villages in the area.
Thursday's video, posted on the Internet by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, shows footage of six uniformed UNDOF members and an officer who identifies himself as being from the Filipino battalion of the UN.
The Filipino captain said they had been travelling to Jamla when there was bombing and artillery fire, and local people helped them to safety.
He said they were distributed to different places "to keep us safe" and they given food and water.
Manila strongly condemned the seizure of its troops and demanded they be released immediately, a call echoed by UN chief Ban Ki-moon.
Philippine President Benigno Aquino said he had received assurances the peacekeepers would not be harmed. "I understand they are being treated well... so far, nobody has been saying that they are in danger," Aquino told reporters.
The captive troops are part of a 300-strong Philippine contingent to a UNDOP force that has been monitoring the separation of Israeli and Syrian troops since the 1974 armistice that followed the previous year's Middle East war.
At the end of February, UNDOF comprised some 1,000 peacekeepers but a growing number of incidents over the past year has made it increasingly difficult for the United Nations to keep the mission up to strength.
The Philippine president said no decision had yet been made on the future of Manila's contingent but its withdrawal would leave just Austrian and Indian troops.
In video statements on Wednesday, a rebel spokesman said the peacekeepers would not be freed until Syrian regime forces pull out of the area.
"If they do not withdraw, these men will be treated as prisoners," spokesman Abu Kaid al-Faleh said, accusing the UN force of working with the Syrian army against the rebels.
-- Security vacuum feared --
Israel, which captured much of the Golan in the 1967 Middle East war and annexed it in 1981 in a move never recognised by the international community, said it feared any depletion of the UN force would pose a serious threat.
"This kidnapping is likely to convince countries who participate in this force to bring their troops home, which would undoubtedly create a dangerous vacuum in no-man's land on the Golan," an Israeli official said.
The rebels' seizure of the peacekeepers came as they celebrated their capture on Wednesday of military intelligence headquarters in the northeastern city of Raqa, which gave it full control of the strategic provincial capital.
Syrian fighter jets pounded the city in retaliation on Thursday, the Observatory said, as the government said its recapture of Raqa was "only a matter of time."
Nationwide violence claimed 179 lives on Wednesday -- 73 rebels, 57 civilians and 49 soldiers, it added.
The United Nations says that more than 70,000 people have been killed and more than one million fled the country since the revolt against President Bashar al-Assad's rule erupted in March 2011.