Connect to share and comment

Jewish settler hurt in West Bank drive-by shooting

PlacardEnlarge
(Globalpost/GlobalPost)

An Israeli settler was moderately wounded in the northern West Bank on Monday when Palestinians in a passing car opened fire on a bus stop where he was standing, police and the army said.

The car fled the scene and troops were conducting searches in the area, a military spokesman said, indicating the shooting took place just outside Kedumim settlement west of Nablus.

"Unknown assailants in a Palestinian car opened fire and wounded a resident of Shavei Shomron (settlement). He was moderately hurt and taken to hospital," an Israeli police statement said.

The victim is reportedly aged around 70, press reports said.

Last week, the Israel army arrested 10 Palestinians in the northern West Bank on suspicion of throwing stones at passing cars and causing an accident which left a woman and her three young daughters injured, including a two-year-old who was in serious condition.

The West Bank has seen a rise in low-level yet persistent tension in recent months, with clashes on the rise between Palestinians and either soldiers or settlers.

In the week starting March 7, 132 Palestinians and five Israeli soldiers were wounded in various clashes, while another 14 Palestinians were hurt in confrontations involving settlers, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said.

jlr-sy/hmw/hc

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130318/jewish-settler-hurt-west-bank-drive-shooting