Connect to share and comment

Dutch shoot down EU budget rise proposal

PlacardEnlarge
(Globalpost/GlobalPost)

The Netherlands on Tuesday rejected a European Union request for an extra 11.2 billion euros from member states, with Finance Minister Jeroen Dijsselbloem saying the money should be found elsewhere.

"I cannot agree with (the) supplementary budget," Dijsselbloem said in a letter to the Dutch parliament, referring to the European Commission's request last week for more money to cover bills left unpaid from last year.

Britain has already said the request was "unacceptable" at a time when states are struggling to reduce their deficits.

"The situation would be better served looking at finding possible savings elsewhere in the budget," said Dijsselbloem, who also chairs the Eurogroup of finance ministers.

Britain noted that the amount sought is greater than the entire eurozone contribution to the Cyprus bailout.

British MP and Treasury Minister Greg Clark last week called it an "extraordinary" request "at a time when most EU member states are taking difficult decisions to reduce public spending."

Dijsselbloem's reaction was equally strong: "I state that the Commission in its suggestion made no effort whatsoever to find the space (for savings) elsewhere in the budget."

The Dutch finance ministry said the Netherlands contributes around 5 percent of the EU budget, meaning it would have to pay 550 million euros ($706 million) towards the increase.

The Netherlands has repeatedly had to make cuts in recent months in a bid to bring its deficit back to below an EU three-percent threshold.

Dijsselbloem also questioned the timing of the EC's call.

"It's unclear how the Commission can already say with certainty how much exactly is needed in 2013," he said.

The Netherlands has in the past called for gradual increases in the EU's budget in order to ensure spending kept pace with the development of the economies of its various 27-member states.

Dijsselbloem said the Netherlands would discuss the Commission's call "with like-minded states" and would look at forming a bloc to reject the proposal "until a satisfactory solution could be found."

EU Budget Commissioner Janusz Lewandowski however said last week the figures "cannot come as a surprise" given that member states have been cutting back their contributions in recent years.

The Commission proposal now goes to the 27 member states and the European Parliament for approval but is certain to face a rough ride with most of Europe facing another year of recession and record unemployment.

jhe/cjo/arp

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130402/dutch-shoot-down-eu-budget-rise-proposal