Connect to share and comment

S. Korea probe says North behind cyber attack

PlacardEnlarge
(Globalpost/GlobalPost)

A South Korean probe into a major cyber attack on its banks and broadcasters last month has determined North Korea's military intelligence agency was responsible, a report said Wednesday.

The official investigation into access records and the malicious codes used in the attack pointed to the North's military Reconnaissance General Bureau as the source, Yonhap quoted a senior government official as saying.

The Ministry of Information declined to comment but has scheduled a press briefing for 2:00pm (0500 GMT).

The attack completely shut down the networks of TV broadcasters KBS, MBC and YTN, and halted financial services and crippled operations at three banks -- Shinhan, NongHyup and Jeju.

The attack employed malware that can wipe the contents of a computer's hard disk as well as drives connected to the infected computer.

It came days after North Korea accused South Korea and the United States of being behind a "persistent and intensive" hacking assault that took a number of its official websites offline for nearly two days.

It also coincided with heightened military tensions on the Korean peninsula, following Pyongyang's nuclear test in February.

ckp/gh/sls

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130409/s-korea-probe-says-north-behind-cyber-attack