Connect to share and comment
G8 foreign ministers on Thursday strongly condemned North Korea's nuclear activities and threats to the region and warned of further sanctions in the event of a missile launch.
The ministers "condemned in the strongest possible terms the continued development of its nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programmes by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), including its uranium enrichment," they said in a statement after talks in London.
North Korea was in "direct violation" of four UN Security Council resolutions, it said.
They said that Pyongyang's nuclear test on February 12, 2013 -- its third since 2006 -- and two missile launches last year "seriously undermine regional stability, jeopardise the prospects for lasting peace on the Korean peninsula and threaten international peace and security".
The Group of Eight industrialised nations welcomed a UN Security Council resolution last month to respond with further sanctions to the nuclear test and take further action in the event of a missile launch.
"Ministers supported the commitment in the (UN) resolution to strengthen the current sanctions regime and take further significant measures in the event of a further launch or nuclear test by the DPRK," the final statement said.
They added that North Korea's aggressive rhetoric "will only serve to further isolate the DPRK", and urged Pyongyang to engage in international talks on denuclearisation.
US Secretary of State John Kerry was among those meeting for two days of talks in London with ministers from Britain, Canada, Russia, Japan, France, Italy and Germany.