Connect to share and comment
An Egyptian court cancelled on Saturday a detention order against ousted president Hosni Mubarak pending a corruption trial but he will remain in custody on other charges, his lawyer said.
Mubarak, held in a south Cairo prison, has been charged in three cases, one for overseeing the killings of protesters during the early 2011 uprising against his regime, and two corruption cases.
The court on Saturday cancelled his detention on graft charges, a judicial source said, without giving more details. The charges related to his personal wealth which prosecutors say exceeds what he could have legitimately amassed.
Earlier this month, a court ordered his release on charges of responsibility for the deaths of protesters after the expiration of the maximum temporary detention of two years.
But his lawyer Farid al-Deeb said on Saturday Mubarak remained detained in yet another corruption case.
"There is still another case, and we will deal with it," he said.
Mubarak, 84, who has been under arrest since April 2011 was transferred back from military hospital to prison earlier this week to await trial on May 11 over the protesters' deaths during the uprising.
He was being treated for a heart condition, fractured ribs, fluid in the lungs, depression and high blood pressure, according to his lawyers and official accounts.