Connect to share and comment
The collapse of an eight-storey building in Bangladesh on Wednesday, which killed more than 80 people, is one of the world's deadliest accidents of this kind in the past 10 years:
- August 3 - INDIA: At least 31 people are killed when a building collapses after a gas explosion in Gujarat, northwestern India.
- February 2 - TURKEY: An 11-storey apartment collapses in Konya, central Turkey, killing 92 residents.
- April 11 - BANGLADESH: 47 people die and 116 others are listed as missing after an illegally-built nine-storey factory collapses in Palash Bari, to the north west of Dhaka.
- August 23 - INDIA: At least 30 people die or are listed as missing after a four-storey building collapses in Mumbai after torrential rains.
- January 5 - SAUDI ARABIA: 76 people are killed when a dilapidated hotel in Mecca collapses.
- July 18 - NIGERIA: 25 people are killed when a building collapses in Lagos, the country's economic capital.
- September 7 - AZERBAIJAN: 25 people die when a building under construction collapses in the capital Baku.
- December 24 - EGYPT: 35 people die when a 12-storey building subsides in the northern coastal city of Alexandria.
- March 29 - ANGOLA: 30 people die and more than 150 are injured when a police building collapses in Luanda.
- June 1 - BANGLADESH: 25 people die when a building collapses in Dhaka.
- August 11 - NIGERIA: 23 people are killed when a three-storey residential building collapses in the capital Abuja.
- November 15 - INDIA: 67 people die and about 100 are injured when a five-storey residential building collapses in New Delhi after a monsoon.
- January 15 - LEBANON: 27 people are killed when a derelict six-storey building collapses in Beirut.
- January 16 - EGYPT: At least 25 people are killed when a 12-storey building collapses in Alexandria.
- March 29 - TANZANIA: A 16-storey building under construction collapses in Tanzania's economic capital Dar es Salaam, killing 36.
- April 4 - INDIA: At least 72 people die when a partly built seven-storey apartment block collapses on the outskirts of Mumbai.
- April 24 - BANGLADESH: At least 82 people are killed when an eight-storey building containing garment factories collapses just outside Dhaka. Many more are feared dead.