Connect to share and comment

Snooker: Hawkins stuns world No.1 Selbby to reach quarters


England's Barry Hawkins came from behind to upset world number one Mark Selby 13-10 at the Crucible on Saturday.

Hawkins won the final four frames to clinch victory in the second round clash to crush Selby's hopes of winning snooker's 'triple crown'.

Having led 9-6 at one stage, Selby's game disintegrated, meaning he will not be able to add the World Championship to his UK Championship and Masters titles already gleaned this season.

England's Selby said: "I had no drive, no buzz. Anyone can accept losing but the way I played, I didn't really turn up.

"I've had the best season I've ever had and to perform like that is a disappointing way to end it."

Hawkins wept with joy at his exploit.

"It's one of the best results of my life, I can't believe I'm getting emotional," he said.

"You'd think I've won the World Championship but I'm only in the quarter-finals - what a nutter."

In other games, Ronnie O'Sullivan took a narrow 5-3 lead against Ali Carter as the defending champion was pegged back following a fast start to their second round clash.

When O'Sullivan fired in a break of 125 to lead 5-1, it seemed that Carter's terrible record against the former world number one was certain to continue.

But Carter took the final two frames of the session to stay in the hunt heading into the second session on Sunday.

O'Sullivan has not lost to Carter in their 12 previous meetings at major tournaments and despite having been absent from the tour for almost a year before this event, he started as a firm favourite again.

It seemed ominous when early breaks of 78 and 66 powered O'Sullivan into a 3-0 lead, although Carter took the next to go to the interval on a positive note.

Carter, 33, who lost heavily to O'Sullivan in the 2008 World Championship final and also in last year's title showpiece, needed to show fight but his safety play had been poor and that was proving costly.

When the gap widened to four, Carter required a sharp response and found it in the form of an 82 break in frame seven and 51 in the last of the day.

In other games England's Judd Trump won the final five frames to beat Hong Kong's Marco Fu 13-7.

Fu had just won three frames in a row to make a fist of the encounter but from 8-7, Trump never looked back.

England's Mark King was leading Ding Junhui of China 5-2 at the end of play on Saturday.