RugbyL: Tigers off the bottom with win over Rovers

JUSTIN Carney scored a try in either half as Castleford Tigers ended a run of successive defeats with a 32-24 win over Hull Kingston Rovers to move off the bottom of the Super League.

Carney, who enjoyed spells at Canberra and Sydney in the NRL, scored right on half-time to make it 12-12 and again with 14 minutes left to help Castleford build a 26-18 lead.

Ryan Boyle, Michael Shenton and Jonathan Walker had all scored themselves up to that point with Jordan Tansey adding a sixth try five minutes after Carney's second to make it 32-18.

Hull KR, who were leading 18-12 a minute after the break thanks to Rhys Lovegrove's early effort and Liam Salter's double, scored through Omari Caro late on but it was not enough.

Castleford, who lost to Salford last time out following on from being knocked out of the Challenge Cup by Leeds, are level on seven points with the Reds and the London Broncos but are 12th on points difference.

Meanwhile, Huddersfield lost ground on leaders Wigan as two tries in the space of five minutes from Trent Waterhouse saw Warrington Wolves run out 34-12 winners on the road at the Giants.

The former Penrith second-row grabbed his first try in the 18th minute and added a second moments later as Warrington raced into the lead with Mick Higham responding to Jermaine McGillvary's early score for Huddersfield.

Stefan Ratchford added a fourth try five minutes after Waterhouse's second while Brett Hodgson, who kicked five goals, and Ryan Atkins touched down after the break with Kruise Leeming the Giants' sole scorer in the half.

On Saturday, Peter Fox and Danny Kirmond both scored two tries each as Wakefield Wildcats comfortably brushed aside Laurent Frayssinous' Catalan Dragons 30-12.

Wigan made it an unhappy return for Salford coach Brian Noble on Friday as they triumphed 46-6 to stay top, however victory came at a cost with Anthony Gelling, once of Sydney Roosters, suffering injury.

Gelling was one of seven try-scorers as the Warriors ran in nine in total, with Josh Charnley and Sam Tomkins picking up doubles, but he injured his shoulder in touching down

Noble coached Wigan between April 2006 and October 2009 while another of his former clubs, Bradford Bulls, lost 42-22 to defending Super League champions Leeds Rhinos at Odsal.

Leeds scored five first-half tries through Kallum Watkins, Mitch Achurch, Carl Ablett, Danny McGuire and Ryan Bailey to lead 30-6 and, despite being outscored in the second, were comfortable winners.

Ablett added a second to go with Zak Hardaker's score, in addition to seven goals from Kevin Sinfield, while a try from Brett Kearney and Jarrod Sammut's three kicks in particular proved in vain for the Bulls.

Nathan Brown's woes at St Helens continued as they fell to a fifth successive defeat and their first ever to Widnes, 35-28, with teenager Jack Owens celebrating a 16-point haul.

And finally, Hull FC ran in eight tries in their 48-12 victory over London Broncos with Daniel Holdsworth, who played for St George and Canterbury in the NRL, kicking six goals.