Connect to share and comment
A search of a US national crime database found no matches to the DNA of the Ohio man charged with the kidnap and rape of three young women who were held captive for a decade, officials said Monday.
Ariel Castro, 52, has been cooperating with investigators since his arrest last week and police said they do not believe he held any other women captive in his Cleveland home.
Ohio's attorney general said in a statement that a search all DNA samples submitted to both the FBI's national database and the state's database "returned no matches" to Castro.
Police reports released earlier Monday showed that the former school bus driver had a history of violence and threatening behavior but was never charged with a crime.
Castro was arrested last week after one of the victims, 27-year-old Amanda Berry, managed to call out to a neighbor, who kicked in the door to the suspect's home and rescued her and her six-year-old daughter.
Police broke into the house and found two more women: 23-year-old Gina DeJesus and 32-year-old Michelle Knight. All three had been snatched in separate incidents in 2002, 2003 and 2004.
DNA tests found that Castro is the father of the girl born in captivity and he was also charged with her kidnapping.