RugbyL: Laffranchi try lifts St Helens past Leeds

Anthony Laffranchi's opportunistic second-half try proved crucial as St Helens sealed a fine comeback 30-22 Super League victory at the Leeds Rhinos on Monday.

The former Australian international scooped up the loose ball and grounded it over the try line after a fumble from Leeds full back Zak Hardaker as he tried to wriggle out of the in-goal area under heavy Saints pressure.

Leeds, the defending Super League champions, had earlier raced into a 16-0 lead in the opening stages as Kallum Watkins, Joel Moon and Rob Burrow all crossed.

But Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Iosia Soliola and Tommy Makinson all scored to level up proceedings before Laffranchi's quick-thinking gave them the lead for the first time after the break.

And Makinson's second and a try from Luke Thompson, either side of a Ryan Bailey effort for the hosts, were enough to take victory and end Saints' five-match losing streak in the process.

On Sunday Hull KR relieved some of the pressure on head coach Craig Sandercock with a 44-18 win against the Wakefield Wildcats.

The Robins produced a dominant second-half display against Wakefield to end a three-match losing run and after trailing 18-16 at the interval.

Luke George, Rhys Lovegrove and Graeme Horne all crossed twice for the hosts while Michael Dobson was on target with six goals.

On Saturday Catalan Dragons survived a real scare as Castleford Tigers' spirited comeback fell narrowly short in a 39-30 victory in France.

The home side were 30-6 ahead at half-time after running in five tries, all of which were converted by Thomas Bosc, with Josh Thompson summoning the sole response for Castleford.

Bu the visitors fought back after the break with two scores from Justin Carney in addition to tries from Daryl Clark and Thompson bringing them right back into the contest before Bosc provided a late drop-goal and a goal to secure the points.

Wigan Warriors remain top of the table after Pat Richards inspired a try-fest against London Broncos.

Richards, Sam Tomkins and Josh Charnley all ran in hat-tricks in a comfortable 64-6 win against the struggling London side as Wigan re-established up a three-point gap on the Huddersfield Giants.

The Giants, fresh from their Challenge Cup win over Leeds Rhinos, had momentarily closed the gap to a solitary point on Friday night with a 36-22 win at Widnes Vikings.

The Giants dominated the first period, with Brett Ferres, Danny Brough, Larne Patrick (2) and Aaron Murphy all crossing.

Widnes did muster a response through Paddy Flynn, Stefan Marsh (2) and Lloyd White, but a second try for Ferres ensured victory for the visitors.

Hull FC's resurgence also continued on Friday as they travelled to the in-form Warrington Wolves and emerged 26-16 winners.

The Wolves, who were without the injured Brett Hodgson, took a first-half lead with tries from Simon Grix and Joel Monaghan but Tom Briscoe's score before the break kept Hull in touch.

And after Tom Lineham and Richard Whiting brought the scores level, Briscoe and Whiting both completed their doubles to make sure of the points.

And Salford City Reds' stayed rooted to the bottom of the table as Matty Blythe crossed twice in a 28-7 win for Bradford Bulls.