A US grand jury on Friday handed up hundreds of charges against a man accused of holding three women captive for a decade, including one count for the death of the unborn child of one of the victims, local media reported.
Ariel Castro, 52, accused of kidnapping and sexually abusing his hostages for a decade at his home in Cleveland, Ohio, was indicted late Friday on 329 counts related to the crimes, local news reports there said.
A 142-page indictment included one act of aggravated murder for allegedly causing the unlawful termination of the pregnancy of one of his captives.
Prosecutors have alleged that the woman miscarried as a result of beatings by Castro, and have said that they may seek the death penalty against him.
Last month, the three women -- Gina DeJesus, Michelle Knight and Amanda Berry -- were freed from Castro's house, as was the young daughter that one of the women gave birth to during her captivity.
DNA tests have confirmed that he was the father of the girl, authorities said.
Prosecutors said that over the decade, the three women suffered repeated beatings, were bound and restrained and sexually assaulted, and never allowed to leave Castro's home.
Castro, who is being held on an $8 million bond, was arrested on May 6, after one of the women managed to attract the attention of a neighbor, who kicked in the door to his house in a working-class neighborhood and alerted authorities.