Connect to share and comment

RugbyL: Former Sharks duo get taste for Reds


Former Cronulla Sharks Paul Aiton and Dean Collis sunk their teeth into Salford City Reds early on to help Wakefield Trinity Wildcats blow their opponents away as they recorded a 46-10 Super League victory.

After failing behind to a Danny Williams try the Wildcats scored three tries in eight first-half minutes, bookended by scores from Aiton and Collis who both arrived in Wakefield in 2012 from the Sharks.

All in all Wakefield touched down five times in a dominant first half to lead 30-4 at the interval, with Danny Kirmond, Richard Mathers and Paul Sykes also getting in on the act.

And the Wildcats continued their mauling after the break with another ex-Shark Tim Smith pulling the strings on his return from injury as he was crucial in further tries for Oliver Wilkes, Ben Cockayne and Peter Fox.

Salford City Reds did score again after the break through Jodie Broughton but it was scant consolation for the home side as they stay second from bottom.

Sunday saw St Helens hold off a spirited second-half Bradford Bulls fightback to run out 30-18 winners and climb back into the Super League play-off places.

Second-row forward Willie Manu got St Helens rolling, with Iosia Soliola also grabbing one of five tries as the hosts won just their second match in their last eight league games.

But they were made to sweat as despite trailing 24-6 at the interval the Bulls fought back with Brett Kearney scoring one of three tries in response.

On Saturday Warrington Wolves thumped London Broncos 82-10, running in 15 tries in the process with Australian brothers Michael and Joel Monaghan getting in on the act with three of them - the former helping himself to a double.

The Broncos ran in two tries of their own, one of which former New Zealand Warrior Michael Witt set up for James Mendeika late on with a clever kick, but they were outmuscled by the Wolves who saw Simon Grix notch a late hat-trick.

Meanwhile, Catalan Dragons got the better of in-form Hull 30-4 with Thomas Bosc, deputising for half-back Scott Dureau, converting all five tries.

Elsewhere on Friday a hat-trick from Widnes Vikings' Patrick Ah Van wasn't enough to deny league-leaders Wigan Warriors who squeezed out a 33-32 victory.

Ah Van's third and final score had pulled Widnes to within one point of their visitors with two minutes remaining but Wigan held on.

Leeds got back to winning ways thanks to a hat-trick from Jimmy Keinhorst - the Rhinos beating Castleford Tigers 42-24.

Joel Moon got in the on the act with an early try but he was outshone by German team-mate Keinhorst, second-row Weller Hauraki scoring an early try for the beaten Tigers.

And Hull Kingston Rovers shocked Huddersfield Giants by coming back from 22-10 down to win 35-28 - Michael Dobson kicking five goals and a crucial drop-goal in the victory.