Connect to share and comment
Below are details of the world's deadliest rail accidents since 2003, following the derailment and explosion of an oil tanker train in the Canadian town of Lac-Megantic, east of Montreal this weekend, where at least 80 people are reported missing.
- ZIMBABWE, February 1: More than 50 people are killed in a head-on collision between a passenger train and a freight train transporting flammable liquids in the country's southwest.
- INDIA, June 22: Fifty-one die after a train derails in bad weather in the western state of Maharashtra.
- IRAN, February 18: A train carrying fuel and fertiliser explodes in the midst of villages near to the northeastern city of Neishabour, killing 328.
- NORTH KOREA, April 22: Over 150 people perish when two trains, one of which is transporting petrol and chemical fertiliser, collide near the Chinese border.
- INDIA, February 3: In Maharashtra again, 55 people lose their lives when a passenger train hits a tractor.
- JAPAN, April 25: A train that derails smashes into a residential building near to Osaka, in the west, killing 107 people.
- PAKISTAN, July 13: An accident between three passenger trains outside the central city of Ghotki kills 150. A thousand more are injured.
- INDIA, October 29: The derailing of a train 70 kilometres (43 miles) from Hyderabad in southeast india kills 110 people.
- EGYPT, August 21: At least 58 people die in a crash of two trains using the same track north of Cairo.
- CHINA, April 28: A collision between two trains in eastern China leaves at least 70 dead.
- INDIA, May 28: A train derails and crashes into a freight train around 135 kilometres (83 miles) west of Calcutta, in the eastern state of Bengal, killing 146 and injuring over 200. Authorities accuse Maoists rebels of sabotage.
- REPUBLIC OF CONGO, June 21: Fifty-six people die and 667 are injured when a overpacked train derails in Yanga, in the south.
- INDIA, July 19: An express train crashes into a stationary train at a station in Birbhum, 200 kilometres (124 miles) north of Calcutta, leaving 63 dead and some 100 people hurt.
- INDIA, July 10: At least 69 people lose their lives, and a further 200 are hurt, when a passenger train derails in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh, 150 kilometres (93 miles) from the city of Lucknow.
- ARGENTINA, February 22: Fifty-one people are killed when a train enters without stopping the central Buenos Aires station of Once, hitting the buffer stop at the end of the platform. More than 700 are also injured.
- INDIA, July 29: At least 32 passengers die when a fire breaks out in a high speed train travelling between New Delhi and the southern city of Chennai.
In May, a train crash kills 25 near Bangalore, in the south.
- CANADA, July 6: At least 80 people are missing after a driverless oil tanker train derails and explodes in the small Canadian town of Lac-Megantic, 250 kilometres (155 miles) east of Montreal. The blast creates a giant fireball, consuming dozens of buildings in flames and forcing the evacuation of 2,000 people.