Below are details of the world's deadliest rail accidents since 2003, following the derailment and explosion of an oil tanker train in the Canadian town of Lac-Megantic, east of Montreal this weekend, where at least 80 people are reported missing.
- ZIMBABWE, February 1: More than 50 people are killed in a head-on collision between a passenger train and a freight train transporting flammable liquids in the country's southwest.
- INDIA, June 22: Fifty-one die after a train derails in bad weather in the western state of Maharashtra.
- IRAN, February 18: A train carrying fuel and fertiliser explodes in the midst of villages near to the northeastern city of Neishabour, killing 328.
- NORTH KOREA, April 22: Over 150 people perish when two trains, one of which is transporting petrol and chemical fertiliser, collide near the Chinese border.
- INDIA, February 3: In Maharashtra again, 55 people lose their lives when a passenger train hits a tractor.
- JAPAN, April 25: A train that derails smashes into a residential building near to Osaka, in the west, killing 107 people.
- PAKISTAN, July 13: An accident between three passenger trains outside the central city of Ghotki kills 150. A thousand more are injured.
- INDIA, October 29: The derailing of a train 70 kilometres (43 miles) from Hyderabad in southeast india kills 110 people.
- EGYPT, August 21: At least 58 people die in a crash of two trains using the same track north of Cairo.
- CHINA, April 28: A collision between two trains in eastern China leaves at least 70 dead.
- INDIA, May 28: A train derails and crashes into a freight train around 135 kilometres (83 miles) west of Calcutta, in the eastern state of Bengal, killing 146 and injuring over 200. Authorities accuse Maoists rebels of sabotage.
- REPUBLIC OF CONGO, June 21: Fifty-six people die and 667 are injured when a overpacked train derails in Yanga, in the south.
- INDIA, July 19: An express train crashes into a stationary train at a station in Birbhum, 200 kilometres (124 miles) north of Calcutta, leaving 63 dead and some 100 people hurt.
- INDIA, July 10: At least 69 people lose their lives, and a further 200 are hurt, when a passenger train derails in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh, 150 kilometres (93 miles) from the city of Lucknow.
- ARGENTINA, February 22: Fifty-one people are killed when a train enters without stopping the central Buenos Aires station of Once, hitting the buffer stop at the end of the platform. More than 700 are also injured.
- INDIA, July 29: At least 32 passengers die when a fire breaks out in a high speed train travelling between New Delhi and the southern city of Chennai.
In May, a train crash kills 25 near Bangalore, in the south.
- CANADA, July 6: At least 80 people are missing after a driverless oil tanker train derails and explodes in the small Canadian town of Lac-Megantic, 250 kilometres (155 miles) east of Montreal. The blast creates a giant fireball, consuming dozens of buildings in flames and forcing the evacuation of 2,000 people.