Connect to share and comment
Six Romanians will stand trial over the spectacular theft of seven masterpieces from a Dutch museum last year even though the artworks have never been found, prosecutors said Monday.
However, no date has yet been set for the trial over what has been dubbed the "theft of the century" at the Kunsthal museum in Rotterdam.
Experts have estimated the value of the stolen paintings -- which include works by Picasso, Matisse and Monet -- at more than 100 million euros ($130 million).
Two of the suspects, Radu Dogaru and Adrian Procop, are accused of masterminding the theft, the Romanian prosecutor's office said in a statement.
Dogaru and several other suspects have been in custody since January, while Procop remains at large.
In May, investigators said they were analysing ashes found in the house of Dogaru's mother, raising fears that the masterpieces may have been burnt.