Locals on the Italian island where the Costa Concordia cruise ship crashed 18 months ago say they are fed up with the salvage, as the captain's trial resumes on Wednesday.
Hundreds of operators are working around the clock as they attempt to right the 290-metre (951-foot) vessel in September before the bad winter weather begins.
In a surreal scene, tourists are also flocking to the holiday island to snap pictures of the rusting hulk and can be seen lying on the rocks or bathing next to the ship.
The vessel is due to be dragged upright, re-floated using giant tanks welded to its side and towed away to be scrapped in an unprecedented operation.
But the technical ingenuity required for the plan is little consolation for locals traumatised by the daily sight of the wreck in their picturesque harbour.
"This tragedy has been beneficial for some people, like the salvage workers and the tourists," Riccardo Stacioli, a local dock worker, told AFP.
"But the situation is becoming unbearable for most people," he said, as he unknotted a length of rope.
Recent official statements have hardly been reassuring.
Civil protection agency chief Franco Gabrielli has said the side of the hull that is in the water may be more damaged than believed, and salvage operators warn the ship is slowly compressing in on itself.
Gabrielli has said there could be a delay until 2014.
In the meantime, some locals are making money.
"We opened a bed and breakfast in May, a few months after the accident. For us, it's been good business," said Giada, 24, owner of a small local hotel.
"We've been booked out ever since," she said.
For most inhabitants, however, there is little cheer from a salvage operation that has already been delayed.
"We are angry and really disappointed that this is all still going on," said Felicita Speranza, a 65-year-old selling souvenirs in the port.
"We had been told it would be finished by last September, then May, then this September. We'll have to see if this time it's true," she said.
The mayor, Sergio Ortelli, said he had been assured that the September righting operation -- a "parbuckle" in nautical terminology -- was a sure thing.
"The patience of the inhabitants has been stretched to the limit. A third summer season ruined by the salvage operation is unacceptable," he said.
Ortelli wants the island to be a civil plaintiff in the trial of captain Francesco Schettino, who is due at three hearings on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
The trial formally opened last week but was quickly adjourned because of a national lawyers' strike.
The Concordia crashed off Giglio on the night of January 13, 2012 with 4,229 people from 70 countries on board, killing 32 people.
The ship veered and keeled over on its side, prompting a delayed and then panicky evacuation just off the shore as many of the lifeboats failed to deploy.
Six people have been charged over the disaster but only Schettino is on trial -- with the other five negotiating plea bargains with prosecutors that still have to be confirmed by a judge later this month.
Some local residents out of a population of around 1,400 people say they have given up hope of seeing the ship gone from their picturesque shores any time soon.
"I don't believe in the salvage anymore. They took the piss. The ship is rotten. As soon as they touch it, it'll break up," said Giovanna, 40, a waitress.
"There is a constant invasion of journalists, cameramen and disaster tourists," she said.
"I can't even find space for my moped in the morning."
As he looked out over his harbour, 66-year-old fisherman Umberto Castelli summed up the local mood.
"I'm sick to death of the whole thing, sick of the boat, the journalists, the tragedy tourists," he said.
But Silvio Gerundia, a shipbuilder, 53, said the critics underestimate the scale of the operation.
"Moving a boat that size is an incredible feat, I don't think people realise," he said.
"They think it can just be flipped over and towed away."