Connect to share and comment

Football: Gascoigne charged over railway assault

PlacardEnlarge
(Globalpost/GlobalPost)

Troubled former England star Paul Gascoigne has been charged with two counts of common assault following an incident at a railway station.

British Transport Police (BTP) on Sunday said the ex-footballer had also been charged with being drunk and disorderly.

A BTP spokesman said the charges against the 46-year-old related to an incident which occurred on July 4 at Stevenage rail station in Hertfordshire, north of London.

The former Newcastle United and Tottenham midfielder was arrested after officers were called to the station at about 2130GMT and was later released on police bail.

Reports at the time claimed Gascoigne's ex-wife Sheryl and a security guard at the railway station were the victims of the assault.

Confirming that Gascoigne has now been charged with three offences, Baljit Ubhey, the Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern CPS, said: "Following a BTP investigation, a file was forwarded to us to consider whether any criminal charges could be brought against the 46-year-old man.

"Having carefully reviewed all of the available evidence, Thames and Chiltern CPS authorised officers from BTP to charge the man with common assault and being drunk and disorderly.

"The charges are in relation to an incident at Stevenage rail station on the evening of Thursday July 4. The decision to charge was taken in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors."

Gascoigne, who received treatment for alcoholism in an American clinic earlier this year, has been bailed to appear before magistrates in Stevenage on August 5.

Earlier this year, Gascoigne said he wanted to "get back to reality" after the latest health scare in his battle with alcohol addiction.

He told ITV1's Daybreak in March: "I didn't ask to be an alcoholic, but I must admit I worked on it. I went to any lengths to get my drink, I'll go even further to stay sober."

smg/ps

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130721/football-gascoigne-charged-over-railway-assault