Connect to share and comment
Egypt's tourism industry was facing meltdown on Friday as foreign governments advised visitors to stay in their hotels and tour operators began cancelling trips to the crisis-hit country.
Fears of nationwide unrest in the wake of a violent crackdown by the military-backed interim government earlier this week have resulted in a string of countries issuing official advice against all but essential travel to the land of the Pyramids.
Tourists already in the country are being told to stay in their hotels and resorts, even in areas untouched by the troubles, adding to a sense of insecurity that has hit the beleaguered sector hard.
Tourism is a vital component of the Egyptian economy, accounting for more than 11 percent of GDP before the current wave of political instability began with the Arab Spring in 2011.
German travel groups TUI and Thomas Cook announced Friday that they were cancelling all holidays to Egypt until September 15 in light of the uncertain security situation.
Russia, which has more than 50,000 of its nationals currently on holiday in Egypt and a similar number booked to go there in the coming months, advised travel agents to stop selling packages to the north African state.
Tour operators in Finland, Norway and Sweden said they would be repatriating all their clients over the weekend, with many of them cutting short their holidays. The companies involved have also suspended further departures for Egypt for at least the next month and until mid-October in certain cases.
Britain and Belgium both extended earlier travel warnings to include the popular Red Sea resorts, which had been considered safe until this week's events.
Britain said specifically that its nationals in the resort of Hurghada should stay in their hotels, in line with advice received from the Egyptian police following a death in the resort on Wednesday.
"Hurghada police advised tourists to remain in hotel grounds," a statement from the Foreign Office said. "We advise you to follow their advice."
"You are strongly advised to avoid all demonstrations and large gatherings.
"If you become aware of any nearby protests, leave the area immediately. Do not attempt to cross road blocks erected by the security forces or protestors."
British travel association ABTA estimates that there are currently around 40,000 Britons in Red Sea resorts such as Hurghada and Sharm el-Sheikh, which is an eight-hour drive from Cairo.
Tour operator Thomas Cook said it had cancelled excursions from the Red Sea resorts to Cairo, Luxor, Moses' mountain and Saint Catherine's monastery.
But a spokeswoman added: "Sharm el-Sheikh and Hurghada are fully operational and holidaymakers are continuing to enjoy these popular resorts."
Italy, which has an estimated 19,000 citizens in Egypt, advised them not to venture out on excursions.
"We strongly advise you to avoid excursions outside of tourist areas, particularly in cities," the foreign ministry said in a statement on its website.
The ministry also said the security situation in the northern part of the Sinai peninsula was "very precarious" and advised against any travel there.
"There is a risk of terrorist attacks. There should be particular caution in the region bordering the Gaza Strip, in Cairo and Alexandria," it said.
"Great prudence is recommended in crowded areas."
The federation of Italian tour operators Fiavet said earlier this week that there had been an 80-percent drop in the number of Italians visiting Egypt this year.
The warnings issued by Britain and Italy were mirrored in France, Germany and Spain.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius indicated that a possible evacuation of French nationals was being kept under review. "We will see how the situation evolves," he said, adding that, in the meantime, citizens in Egypt were "very strongly advised to stay at home."