Connect to share and comment
Former American League Most Valuable Player Miguel Tejada has been banned 105 games after testing positive for amphetamines, Major League Baseball said Saturday.
Major League Baseball's statement gave no further details, saying only that the Kansas City Royals infielder's suspension would take effect immediately.
Yahoo! Sports reported the length of Tejada's suspension was based on the fact that he tested positive twice.
Tejada will not appeal the penalty. In a statement issued through the players' union he said his positive test stemmed from his use of a drug to treat a medical condition.
"I apologize to my teammates, the Royals organization and to the Kansas City fans," Tejada said.
"I have a medical condition that requires medication to treat. I took that medication while re-applying for a Therapeutic Use Exemption. Under the requirements of the Joint Drug Program, I made a mistake in doing so."
Tejada, 39, has been on the disabled list since last Sunday, a day after he exited a loss to Boston with a strained right calf.
He had been enjoying a solid season with a .288 batting average, three home runs and 20 runs batted in for the Royals -- first as a part-time player and then as the team's starting second baseman.
It's not the first drug issue for Tejada, who pleaded guilty to lying to Congress in 2005 about his knowledge of performance enhancing drugs in baseball, although he had never before been suspended for PED use.
His ban comes as the game grapples with another major doping scandal, with more than a dozen players suspended for links to the Biogenesis anti-aging clinic in Florida fingered as a distributor of PEDs.
That includes New York Yankees star slugger Alex Rodriguez, who is continuing to play as he appeals a 211-game ban received in the wake of MLB's Biogenesis investigation.
The CBS news program "60 Minutes" reported this week that people associated with Rodriguez leaked the names of some other players linked to Biogenesis, including Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun and Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli, to Yahoo! Sports when the scandal first broke.
Rodriguez's lawyer sent a statement to "60 Minutes" denying that allegation.
"The allegations are untrue and are another attempt to harm Alex -- this time by driving a wedge between Alex and other players in the game," attorney David Cornwell said.
"While Alex focuses on baseball and repeatedly states that he is going to respect the appeal process, the drumbeat of false allegations continues."