Connect to share and comment
A Libyan Al-Qaeda suspect who was snatched from Tripoli by US commandos and interrogated on an American warship, has been brought to New York to face trial, a prosecutor said Monday.
Abu Anas al-Liby arrived in the United States at the weekend and was brought directly to New York, where he has been under indictment for more than a decade.
A US official told CNN on Monday night that he received care at a medical facility in New York for a pre-existing medical condition and was "doing better."
The official did not detail the medical issue.
His wife told CNN this month that Liby has a severe case of hepatitis C and that she was worried about his health.
Liby, a computer expert captured in the Libyan capital Tripoli on October 5, faces trial for the twin 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.
"The government expects that he will be presented before a judicial officer tomorrow," Southern District of New York Attorney Preet Bharara said in a statement.
Liby was believed to have been held and interrogated on a US warship in the Mediterranean after his capture in an operation denounced by Libya.
US President Barack Obama said last week that Liby "planned and helped to execute a plot that killed hundreds of people, a whole lot of Americans."
"We have strong evidence of that. And he will be brought to justice," Obama added.