Connect to share and comment

Five wounded in Cairo bomb attack

PlacardEnlarge
(Globalpost/GlobalPost)

A bomb went off near a public transport bus in the Egyptian capital on Thursday, injuring five people, security officials and a medic said.

Security officials said the improvised bomb had been placed next to a bus in the north Cairo neighbourhood of Nasr City and police defused another bomb nearby.

The victims received mild to moderate injuries, a health ministry official said.

The interior ministry said the bomb had been planted in a grassy area at the intersection of two busy streets in Nasr City.

Militants have killed scores of policemen and soldiers in attacks since the military's overthrow of president Mohamed Morsi in July.

The bombing comes two days after a suicide car bomber killed 15 people, mostly policemen, in an attack on their headquarters in a Nile Delta city.

On Wednesday, the military-installed government declared Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood movement a terrorist group, and blamed it for the police headquarters bombing although a Qaeda-inspired group in the Sinai peninsula said it was responsible.

The Brotherhood, which organises near daily protests demanding Morsi's reinstatement, insists it is peaceful and has condemned militant attacks.

The bombing in Cairo appears to be the first against civilian targets, although it could have exploded prematurely.

A suicide bomber had set off a car bomb in September in the same neighbourhood in an attempt to assassinate interior minister Mohamed Ibrahim as his convoy passed by.

The minister survived but a bystander was killed in the explosion.

str-se

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/131226/five-wounded-cairo-bomb-attack