Badminton's world governing body said Friday it has fined the Badminton Korea Association $40,000 for negligence after two players were banned for missing doping tests.
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) said the South Korean association "failed in its duty of care" to Lee Yong-Dae and Kim Ki-Jung, who were banned for one year in January.
Lee won mixed doubles gold at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing and took a bronze in the men's doubles in London in 2012.
He had been expected to compete in the Asian Games in the South Korean city of Incheon in September-October this year.
The Kuala Lumpur-based BWF said its disciplinary committee had found that the Korean association was negligent in failing to give the players necessary information about anti-doping regulations.
It urged it to make more effort to educate players, coaches and others about the rules.
The Badminton Korea Association said in January that the absence of both players during visits by anti-doping inspectors had been due to international competitions.
"Lee and Kim did not take any banned drugs, refuse doping tests or intentionally shun them," the Korean body said in a statement at the time, describing the ban as "extreme and unfair".