Connect to share and comment
Carlos Alberto, Brazil's skipper in their 1970 World Cup-winning side, on Tuesday described this year's hosts of the global football showpiece event Brazil as being "in transition."
However, the 69-year-old still believed that his compatriots are live contenders to lift the trophy in July with holders Spain, Argentina and Germany the others capable of doing so.
"Brazilian football is in a transitional, inter-generational phase," the former defender said after the World Cup trophy arrived in Rio ahead of a tour of the host nation following a nine-month tour of the globe.
"One generation drew to a close with the 2010 World Cup in South Africa," said Carlos Alberto, who also decried the loss of Brazil-born striker Diego Costa after he opted to play for Spain.
"A new, very good one has taken up the baton. (But) there is this lad who has become a naturalised Spaniard, Diego Costa, with whom we have lost out on a good opportunity.
"We do have (strikers) Fred and Jo, good players with which to form a strong group and target winning the World Cup," he inisted.
Carlos Alberto added he was confident that top star Neymar, who is out of action for a month after suffering a foot injury last week, will recover in time for the June 12 kickoff against Croatia.
"As far as we know, it is not as serious an injury as it first seemed -- he will certainly recover," he said.