Chinese authorities said Sunday that four people had been detained over a bridge collapse in southern Guangdong province that killed 11 people and severely injured two, state media reported.
The stone arch bridge under construction in Liangping village in Gaozhou City collapsed at about 1:00 pm on Saturday, the official Xinhua news agency said.
The unlicensed bridge was being built by the village itself. The local government ordered suspension of the project in April, but construction had resumed covertly.
The village committee director, two people working for the construction contractor and another official were held responsible for the accident, said Liang Ruibo, Gaozhou City spokesperson, according to Xinhua.
Further investigations were under way.
An earlier Xinhua report said rescuers pulled 27 people out of the debris including five who were confirmed dead on the spot and eight with serious injuries. Six of those died later in hospital.