Madrid, Apr 8 (EFE).- Iñaki Urdangarin, son-in-law of Spain's King Juan Carlos and the chief suspect in a major corruption case, told the monarch he has decided to accept a job in Qatar, La Vanguardia newspaper said Monday.
The 45-year-old former Olympic handball player is set to work as top assistant to Valero Rivera when the latter becomes coach of Qatar's national handball team, the Barcelona daily said.
The husband of Princess Cristina, the younger of Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia's two daughters, is under investigation for allegedly embezzling more than 6 million euros ($7.7 million) after using his connections to obtain lucrative, no-bid public contracts for the Noos Institute, a non-profit foundation he headed for several years.
Though he has been named as a suspect, Urdangarin is allowed to leave the country with the proviso that he must return if the case goes to trial.
If Urdangarin accepts the position in Qatar, Princess Cristina and the couple's four children would remain in Barcelona until at least the end of the current school year, La Vanguardia said.
The office of Spain's anti-corruption prosecutor said there are no plans to prevent Urdangarin from going abroad.
Last week, the judge handling the case ordered Princess Cristina to appear in court April 27 to give a statement as a potential suspect.
Judge Jose Castro later suspended the summons after the anti-corruption prosecutor filed a challenge to the magistrate's designation of the princess as a suspect.
Prosecutors say there is no evidence that Cristina was connected to any illegal activity on the part of her husband.