Connect to share and comment

U.S. authorities: No arrest yet in Boston bombings

PlacardEnlarge
(Globalpost/GlobalPost)

Boston, Apr 17 (EFE).- Municipal police and the FBI spoke out Wednesday to deny media reports that a suspect was in custody in connection with this week's deadly bomb blasts at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

CNN, one of the outlets that initially said authorities had made an arrest, later reversed itself and said nobody was in custody for Monday's attack, while continuing to maintain that a suspect had been identified.

Investigators spotted the suspect thanks to a review of video captured by security cameras at a Lord & Taylor store located between the two explosion sites and of footage shot by a Boston television station, CNN said.

The key image showed "a suspect carrying, and perhaps dropping, a black bag at the second bombing scene," The Boston Globe reported.

At least one of the bombs, and possible both, were made from an explosive charge packed into a pressure cooker, officials said earlier.

Pressure-cooker bombs are simple to make and commonly used by both Islamic terrorists and domestic terrorists.

The pressure cooker containing the explosives may have been carried to the targeted location in a backpack or black nylon bag, officials said.

The two bomb blasts at the finish line of the Boston Marathon killed three people and wounded 176 others, 17 of them critically.

The explosions happened shortly before 3:00 p.m. as dozens of runners were crossing the finish line near Copley Square, packed with thousands of spectators and friends and family of the roughly 23,000 competitors.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/agencia-efe/130417/us-authorities-no-arrest-yet-boston-bombings