Boston terror suspect remains in serious condition, FBI says

Washington, Apr 21 (EFE).- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the young man of Chechen origin who is one of the pair of brothers presumed to be behind the Boston Marathon bombings last week, remains in "serious condition," the FBI said Sunday.

Tsarnaev has been receiving treatment at Boston's Beth Israel Hospital since he was captured alive, but wounded, last Friday night after an almost 24-hour police pursuit and a huge deployment of security forces throughout the locked-down Boston area.

The younger of the two brothers suspected of carrying out the twin bomb attacks near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, blasts which killed three people and wounded more than 170, is being treated for gunshot wounds he allegedly suffered during his attempt to elude law enforcement on Thursday night and Friday morning. He eventually hid himself in a boat stored in the driveway of a home in Watertown, in the Boston metropolitan area, and was found there by police.

His brother Tamerlan, 26, was killed in a police shootout and subsequently apparently run over by Dzhokhar himself as the latter tried to escape the security dragnet in a stolen SUV.

Dzhokhar, according to what a federal agent requesting anonymity told CNN, has wounds in his throat that could prevent him from being able to speak, but that has not been officially confirmed.

Investigators continue to think that the two brothers acted alone and they do not believe there is any imminent danger to the public now that one of them is dead and the other in custody.

However, they want to know if the older brother, Tamerlan, who was apparently the more troubled and unable to adapt to life in the United States, had been seduced by the ideas of radical Islam on his visit last year to the Russian region of Dagestan, where his Chechen family lives.

Tsarnaev had lived for at least a year in Cambridge, a Boston suburb that is the home of Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The huge police operation in Watertown was launched after an MIT campus security officer was killed Thursday night.

He was reportedly slain by the two suspects after responding to a convenience store robbery near the central square in the Boston suburb of Cambridge.

The suspects then fled the scene after hijacking a car and headed from Cambridge to Watertown. While being chased by police, they seriously wounded a transit system police force officer.