Connect to share and comment
Barcelona, Apr 22 (EFE).- Spanish world No. 5 Rafael Nadal said Monday that his loss over the weekend to top-ranked Novak Djokovic of Serbia in the final at Monte Carlo "does not change anything" in terms of his approach to the tournament in Barcelona, where he is once again the defending champion.
Nadal said he lacked "a little bit of everything against Djokovic on Sunday, especially "a little bit more competitiveness and physicality."
These things "come from competition and matches," Nadal said.
Djokovic rolled over Nadal 6-2, 7-6 (7-1) in the final of the Monte Carlo Masters.
The Spaniard said he was "more than on the right track" after winning titles this year in Sao Paulo, Acapulco and Indian Wells, and making the finals in Viña del Mar and Monte Carlo in his first five tournaments since returning to action.
Nadal suffered a knee injury last year that sidelined him for seven months.
"I did not finish sad or mad yesterday. Competing with the player who is in top form at the moment and having a chance to win the second set and, if I get it done, winning the match, that's enough to be satisfied," Nadal said.
The Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell is one of the bigger tune-up events for tennis' premier clay-court tournament, the French Open, which gets underway on May 26.