Connect to share and comment
Tripoli, Apr 23 (EFE).- At least two people were wounded Tuesday in a car bomb attack against the French Embassy in this capital, a security official told Efe.
The wounded men are both French security guards and one of them is in serious condition, said the source, adding that the attack caused significant damage to part of the building.
Two houses were also damaged by the blast, which set several nearby vehicles on fire.
The Libyan police and army cordoned off the zone and Foreign Minister Mohamed Abdelaziz and Deputy Premier Awad al Barasi - representing the government of Ali Zidaan, who is not in the country at present - both came to the scene.
Abdelaziz said that a French-Libyan commission had been formed to investigate the attack.
So far, no group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Paris confirmed on Tuesday that the two French gendarmes were wounded in the blast, and President Francois Hollande "firmly" condemned it and asked Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius to immediately dispatch a representative to Tripoli to "take all the necessary measures."
The insecure conditions in Libya, a consequence of the inability of the new government to extend its authority, recently motivated several Western embassies to alert their citizens about the risks of traveling in the North African country.
Since the fall of the regime of Muammar Gadhafi in October 2011, several diplomatic missions have been the targets of terrorist attacks.
The most serious such attack was staged last Sept. 11 on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, a strike in which the ambassador and three other Americans lost their lives.