Connect to share and comment
Mexico City, May 14 (EFE).- State-owned Petroleos Mexicanos is suing former executive Cesar Nava, erstwhile chairman of Mexico's conservative National Action Party, in the U.S. courts for his alleged involvement in a conspiracy to defraud the oil giant, Reforma newspaper said Tuesday.
Nava is named in briefs expanding the $500 million lawsuit Pemex filed last December against Siemens AG and South Korea-based SK Engineering & Construction Co. for ostensibly bribing Pemex executives, the daily said.
The case is before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
As Pemex's legal director in 2002, Nava intervened to stop the company from collecting $102.8 million from Siemens and SK to compensate for contract violations in the overhaul of the Cadereyta refinery, according to the court documents cited by Reforma.
Nava's action furthered the "criminal enterprise" of Siemens and SK Engineering, Pemex said.
The defendants obtained $182.4 million by systematically overcharging Pemex for work on the refinery, the lawsuit maintains.
Following his 2001-2003 tenure at Pemex, Nava served as private secretary to Mexican President Felipe Calderon, who governed from 2006-2012.
Both Calderon and his predecessor, Vicente Fox, won election on the ticket of the National Action Party.
Last week, former Siemens executive Peter Paul Muller told Mexican prosecutors his company paid $2.6 million in bribes to Pemex personnel to cover up the overcharges on the Cadereyta project.