Connect to share and comment
Sao Paulo, May 26 (EFE).- Brazilian striker Neymar confirmed via a social network that early this next week he will sign a contract with FC Barcelona.
"I'm meeting with friends and family and they're helping me write some things," the 21-year-old forward said in a posting on Instagram.
"My family and my friends already know my decision. On Monday I sign a contract with Barcelona," Neymar, who in recent days was battled over by the Catalonian team and top rival Real Madrid, said.
The player thanked the Santos FC fans for the "nine incredible years" he spent at that club, assuring them that his "feelings will never change" and will be "eternal."
FC Barcelona, meanwhile, confirmed in a posting at 3:30 a.m. Sunday on its Web site the agreement to sign Neymar.
"FC Barcelona has reached an agreement with Santos for Neymar," the club said in a brief note in which it added that the player will sign a contract for the next five seasons, albeit making no mention of the payment arrangement with Santos to buy out the player's contract.
"The forward, 21, stands out for his refined technique, which makes him a destabilizing player and a goal-scorer," FC Barcelona said. "His game is very attractive and he's receive many acknowledgements and praise from the celebrated Pele, who considers him to be his successor.
Neymar last week signed a deal with Barcelona committing him to join the club after representing his country in this summer's FIFA Confederations Cup from June 15-30, Rio daily O Globo reported last Tuesday.
Meanwhile, after first rejecting Barcelona's offer for the star striker, Santos on Saturday announced they had come to an accommodation.
Brazilian media have speculated that Barcelona offered Santos approximately 20 million euros ($25.8 million) to release Neymar, even though the buyout clause in his contract - which expires in July 2014 - is set at 65 million euros ($84 million).