Mexico City, Jun 4 (EFE).- Investigators have no leads on the 11 young people who went missing late last month in Mexico City and cannot even confirm that the group was taken by force, Federal District Attorney Rodolfo Rios said.
The young people were led away from the Heavens After bar in Mexico City's Zona Rosa tourist district by gunmen on May 26, relatives and a young man who managed to escape said.
The incident did not come to light until relatives staged a protest last Wednesday, three days after the group went missing.
"This is a case without precedent," the DA said, adding that the matter was officially being handled as a disappearance and not a kidnapping because no ransom demands had been made.
"We have no knowledge that a relative has received any calls asking for money, Rios said.
One of the missing youths is Jerry Ortiz Ponce, a 16-year-old boy whose jailed father, Jorge Ortiz Reyes, is one of the leaders of the La Union gang.
Ortiz Reyes is still running the criminal organization from prison, media reports said.
A rival gang may have staged the kidnapping to settle a score with La Union following the killing of a drug dealer in Mexico City two days before the youths disappeared, press reports said.
"We have no specific information on this case," Mexico City police chief Jesus Rodriguez Almeida said Monday in response to a question from reporters about the gang.
The young people, who worked and liked to spend time at the bar, were taken out of the establishment by men dressed in black who identified themselves as police officers, relatives said.
The group may have been taken away by drug cartel members, who often abduct targeted individuals and do not demand ransom, dumping victims' bodies at some location a few days later, relatives said.
Several of the missing young people had criminal records for involvement in robberies, drug trafficking and arms possession, media reports said.