Beirut, Aug 16 (EFE).- The number of fatalities from a car-bomb attack in a Shi'ite Muslim neighborhood of Beirut has reached 22, a Lebanese police source told Efe Friday.
Another 228 people were injured in Thursday's blast at a spot between the Bir al-Abed and Rweiss neighborhoods where the Shi'ite Hezbollah movement often holds rallies.
A claim of responsibility came from a previously unknown faction calling itself the Company of Aisha Umm al-Muminin, the Prophet Mohammed's favorite wife.
In a video, a hooded man speaking for the group said the attack was intended as a "second message" to Hezbollah's leader, Hassan Nasrallah.
Fifty-three people died last month in a car-bombing in the same area.
Nasrallah addressed the latest bombing Friday in a speech planned to mark the seventh anniversary of the end of the 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict.
"It is most likely that a takfiri group was responsible for yesterday's explosion," the Hezbollah leader said, referring to radical Sunni Muslim factions, some of them with connections to al-Qaeda.
Takfiri are among the foreigners fighting in Syria against President Bashar al-Assad.
"If you think by killing our women and children ... and destroying our neighborhoods, we would retreat from the position we took (in Syria) you are wrong," Nasrallah said in an address transmitted from a secret location.