Mexico City, Oct 17 (EFE) .- A fire in a building in downtown Mexico City caused alarm among residents and forced the evacuation of about 300 people, the municipal administration announced Thursday.
Firefighters managed to put out the blaze around 11:25 a.m.
The fire broke out in an apartment on the top floor of the Coahuila building for as yet unknown reasons.
Firefighters were dispatched to the 19th floor to deal with the blaze and to evacuate about 300 people, several of whom were experiencing nervous crises and had to be attended to by medical personnel.
The area around the building was cordoned off out to 150 meters (about 500 feet), a move that affected traffic on two busy thoroughfares for several hours.
Although municipal government sources said that the fire could have been caused by a short circuit or a lit candle, an investigation will have to be undertaken to make a definitive determination.