Cairo, Feb 16 (EFE).- Three people were killed in the bombing of a tour bus Sunday in Taba, in the southern part of Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, officials said.
The jihadist group Ansar Beit al Maqdis claimed responsibility for the attack on the bus.
"As we promised, thanks to God and to our 'mujahideen,' we were able to blow up the bus in Taba and we're going to continue orienting our attacks on their economy, their tourism and gas," the group said in a Twitter post, without specifying the manner in which the attack was carried out.
This extremist group, which has adopted the ideology of Al Qaeda, is known for attacking Egyptian security forces with greater frequency in recent months.
Three people - two South Korean tourists and the Egyptian driver - were killed and 13 of the 40 people riding on the bus were wounded, the Interior Ministry said in a statement.
Ansar Beit al Maqdis has claimed responsibility for large attacks with car bombs and selective strikes against security forces, including four explosions in Cairo in January and the downing of a military helicopter the same month in the Sinai.
Officials on numerous occasions have linked Ansar Beit al Maqdis with the Muslim Brotherhood, but so far no irrefutable evidence has been produced of operational links between the two groups.
This is the first attack of this kind against foreigners on the Sinai Peninsula - a significant tourist destination - since the military coup that ousted the government of Islamist Mohammed Mursi last July.
Since then, the Sinai has become a focal region of instability where various extremist groups operate and have been ramping up their attacks against the army and the police.