Cairo, Jul 14 (EFE).- Egypt on Monday presented an initiative to provide a way out of the conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Hamas movement that stipulates a cessation of hostilities by both sides within 24 hours and meetings in Cairo in the coming days.
The plan, presented in a communique by Egypt's foreign ministry, calls on all parties to observe "an immediate cease-fire" to begin at 9 a.m. Tuesday.
Israel must cease its air and naval bombardments and guarantee that it will not make any territorial incursions into the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip or attacks on civilians, while the Palestinians must stop firing rockets into Israeli territory, among other points.
Once the cease-fire takes effect, the plan says that the border crossing points must be opened to facilitate the "movement of goods and persons."
In accord with this initiative, 48 hours after the entry into force of the cease-fire, "high-level delegations from both the Israeli government and the Palestinian factions" will travel to Cairo.
The two parties must make a commitment not to carry out any type of act that could negatively affect the implementation of the accord, the initiative specifies.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will travel on Tuesday to Cairo to help push for a cease-fire.
Also scheduled is the visit to Egypt of Palestine National Authority leader Mahmoud Abbas, who will meet with Egyptian President Abdelfatah al-Sisi.
More than 170 Palestinians have died and some 1,200 have been wounded in the seven days the Israeli military operation against Gaza has lasted.
Hamas' armed wing, the Al-Qassam Brigades, and other militias have claimed responsibility for the rocket attacks on cities in Israel that triggered sirens and caused panic among residents but no injuries.
The Israeli military said 130 rockets had been fired into its territory, of which 100 hit the ground and 22 were intercepted by the "Iron Dome" missile defense system.