Connect to share and comment
A petition has been filed in the Lahore High Court for reopening the case of Bhagat Singh, a freedom fighter who was hanged in 1930.
Petitioner Imtiaz Rasheed Qureshi has stated Bhagat Singh was a freedom fighter for independence of the sub-continent. He said he was firstly given life imprisonment but later he was given death sentence. He said the freedom fighter was sentenced in a fake case.
The petitioner the then-governor Punjab had constituted the tribunal through an ordinance which was valid for four months. He said the tribunal started its proceedings six days prior to lapse of its tenure.
He said the tribunal neither recorded witnesses of 450 witnesses nor listened counter arguments from the side of Singh. He said later Singh with his two companions namely Subak Dio and Raj Jaral were hanged. He said an appeal was also filed against the punishment in London which was dismissed.
He said Bhagat Singh is given respect in subcontinent not only by Sikhs but also Muslims. He said Qauid-e-Azam twice paid him tribune in Central Assembly. He requested the court to reopen the case of Singh and declare him as innocent.
SUMMONED: The Lahore High Court chief justice summoned the railways director procurement on a petition challenging purchase of alleged substandard locomotives from blacklisted foreign companies.
A local lawyer Feroze Shah Gillani filed the petition saying Railways was suffering Rs35 billion loss because of corruption of its top officials. He said the PR put to trash 500 engines and now entered in a contract of getting on lease the engines from a foreign company.
When hearing resumed, the petitioner counsel argued Ghulam Ahmad Bilor, former railway minister, had paid advance amount of Rs16 billion to a black listed company in order to obtain kickbacks in purchase of 75 locomotives.
At this, Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial observed the advance payment of Rs16 billion to a blacklisted company was a sensitive issue. A PR law officer informed the court that the matter was pending before the federal cabinet and requested the court to allow some time to take further instructions over the matter.
At this, the chief justice directed the director procurement to appear in person on May 23 to explain how the PR had entered in a contract with a black listed company. The court further observed no single engine had been bought despite the payment four years ago.
The petitioner alleged that the company from which the locomotives were being purchased had been blacklisted in world. He requested the court to restrain the railways from getting the locomotives from the blacklisted company.