Connect to share and comment
Four people, including two children, died and 96 others were hospitalized today for food poisoning in a town west of Guatemala's capital.
The fire department said the victims ate fruit and vegetables that weren't properly cleaned in the town of Santo Domingo Xenacoj.
A doctor at one of the hospitals said the medical exams show the deaths were caused by E. coli bacteria.
Cases of food poisoning are common in Guatemala, with E. coli infections causing deadly diarrhea in children.
A fire department official, Amilcar Zapote, said the sale of produce was banned yesterday in Santo Domingo Xenacoj.