Connect to share and comment

Digital Playground porn site hacked by The Consortium

Hackers with a group calling itself The Consortium claim to have stolen security and credit data from thousands of users of porn site Digital Playground.

Digital Playground porn site hacked The ConsortiumEnlarge
The Consortium, the little-known group that claims to have hacked porn site Digital Playground, appears to be loosely affiliated with the larger Anonymous hackers movement. (JEAN-PHILIPPE KSIAZEK/AFP/Getty Images)

Porn site Digital Playground has been partially shut down after hackers claimed to have stolen thousands of users' details.

A group calling itself The Consortium and claiming affliation with Anonymous said it had accessed the user names, email addresses and passwords of more than 70,000 Digital Playground subscribers, the BBC reported, as well as the details of 40,000 credit cards.

More from GlobalPost: Porn password hack puts millions of users at risk 

Announcing the attack, The Consortium said it had posted a portion of the data online – including 82 official .gov and .mil email addresses allegedly listed in the customer database. Via Twitter, the group promised to make Digital Playground content freely available too:

"We did not set out to destroy them but they made it too enticing to resist," the hackers said, claiming that the site's security was lax and credit card details stored in unencrypted plain-text format.

The breach has prompted the owners of Digital Playground, porn giant Manwin, to stop accepting new subscriptions temporarily, though current members can continue to access the site. 

Digital Playground is the third of Manwin's porn sites to be hacked in recent weeks, following breaches of Brazzers and YouPorn last month.

The YouPorn hack, described as one of the largest breaches of online security to date, resulted in more than one million users' details being made public. The operators blamed a third-party adult chat service that was hosted on their website for failing to secure the data.

In a statement issued to the AVN news site, Manwin suggested that the "potential breach" of Digital Playground may have taken place before the company officially took over the site on March 1. "Management is supervising all aspects of this situation," the company said.

More from GlobalPost: Your body parts, made to order

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/business-tech/technology-news/120312/digital-playground-porn-site-hacked-the-consortium-manwin