Connect to share and comment
You know about cronuts, but have you heard of sushi doughnuts?
Here at GlobalPost, we are interested in the intersection of cultures. It happens all around us, all the time.
But perhaps most importantly, it happens when donuts take the form of sushi. Yes, that's a thing now.
Actually, it has apparently been a thing for a couple years, according to HuffPo, but netizens have been raging about it this week due to a Japanese Twitter user who spotted the gems while visiting Thailand.
— Chaiyo106 (@Chaiyo106) June 25, 2013
SushiDo are more donut than sushi, in the sense that you will get a mouthful of sweet and doughy instead of briney and spicy. But you can still eat them with chopsticks if you want.
What else can you do with donuts if you want? That's a really good question. GlobalPost is on it:
1) Sushi donuts — Sushi only in appearance, these donuts made adorable are available in Thailand.
2) Cronut — Cross between a donut and a croissant, these little guys have been taking off around the globe. They are called "crossnuts" in Vietnam, but word on the street is that Americans find "cronuts" more appetizing.
3) Pizza donuts — Donut on the outside, pizza on the inside.
4) Grilled cheese donuts — Cincinnati, Ohio, apparently, is famous for these.
5) Donut sandwich — Bostonites everywhere rejoice. Dunkin Donuts has improved upon the bacon, egg and cheese sandwich in the only way possible: encasing it inside a donut. Those who've sampled it say it tastes just like a pancake and eggs.
6) Donut ice cream sandwich — In case you want to keep your sandwiches sweet as opposed to savory.
7) And dude, it's a bronut — By which I mean, a burger inside a donut.