Connect to share and comment
Czech women with French-made silicone breast implants have been advised to have them removed, the Health Ministry has said.
Czech women with French-made silicone breast implants have been advised to have them removed, a Health Ministry spokesman told Reuters on Thursday.
The death from cancer last year of a French woman using the implants — made by now bankrupt French firm Poly Implant Prothese, or PIP – has caused a global health scare.
About 300,000 women around the world bought implants made by PIP, which went bankrupt in 2010 after an official investigation revealed it was using a cheaper, unapproved industrial-grade silicone in some of its products.
France’s Health Ministry reported in late December that there was no cancer risk from faulty breast implants but urged 30,000 women to have them removed.
(GlobalPost reports: France urges removal of PIP breast implants, but finds no cancer link)
The implants were banned by the Czech Republic in 2010, according to Reuters.
And while the authorities said they had "not been alerted to any cases of implants rupturing or otherwise malfunctioning":
A commission set up by the ministry will recommend the replacement of the implants [accused of using unapproved industrial-grade material should] on Friday to an estimated 2,000 Czech women, ministry spokesman Vlastimil Srsen said.
"Tomorrow we will give out a recommendation for all patients, health clinics and health insurers," Srsen said.
In late December, the Venezuelan government offered its citizens the chance to have faulty breast implants removed for free, although replacements were not part of the deal.
(GlobalPost reports: Venezuela offers to remove breast implants for free)
Watch below for more details on the danger of PIP breast implants: