A day after the collapse of preparations for inter-Korean talks, North Korea on Wednesday did not answer a call made by the South on the direct communication line that runs through the truce village of Panmunjom, the South's Unification Ministry said.
The ministry said a call was made by the South at 9 a.m., but the North did not pick up the phone. It said another attempt to communicate will be made in the afternoon.
The two sides had been making arrangements through the communication line for inter-Korean governmental talks scheduled to start Wednesday. However, the two-day talks were called off Tuesday after the two sides failed to resolve differences over the level of chief delegates.
"The latest move is probably linked to the cancellation of talks late Tuesday, although there is a need to wait and see how the situation unfolds," Yonhap News Agency quoted a ministry source as saying.
At the talks, the two Koreas were expected to discuss two suspended business projects and other issues concerning bilateral ties.